BHS Mural Club promotes re-use center
“It was a really fun experience, painting and designing something that everyone can see and enjoy,” said Taylor Kelso, a freshman at Berkeley High School. During February 18-20, 2023, the BHS mural club painted a mural aimed towards promoting re-use at BHS according to the club’s president, Carina Nottingham. “We were inspired by the beautiful
BHS Community Theater set to open in May
On January 3, the A Building reopened, but construction on the Community Theater has continued since. The theater first went under construction in the summer of 2020.
March's endless grind: How to manage it
Nothing happens in March. Though home to Women’s History Month, St. Patricks Day, and the National Latin exam, the thing that makes March secretly unique is the fact that there are zero non-weekend days off throughout the month, leaving Berkeley High School students endlessly wandering the halls for five-day weeks and yearning for the weekends.
Electives are crucial for student growth
Cambridge Dictionary defines the word “elective” as “a subject that someone chooses to study, in addition to the subjects that they have to study.” Berkeley High School has offered elective courses for years, and as long as schools continue to give students the freedom to select certain classes, students will
Toxic masculinity on campus harms entire BHS community
A diverse and random sample of 100 Berkeley High School students from all grades and Small Learning Communities were asked to answer “Yes” or “No” to “Does BHS have a toxic masculinity issue?” Of the people surveyed, 69 percent responded with “Yes,” asserting that it is an issue at BHS, while the other 31 percent
Alternative teaching styles benefit students
High school field trips are growing more and more common, as opposed to traditional classroom learning. Since the pandemic, student engagement has plummeted, with 50 percent of students reporting that they are less motivated, according to a recent study conducted by the EdWeek Research Center.
MLP must exist in schools across the U.S.
When navigating the treacherous river of high school, there are a lot of things to think about: social cliques, grades, extracurriculars, college applications, and so much more.
Berkeley Technology Academy deserves awareness, resources
Berkeley Technology Academy is one of Berkeley’s lesser-known options for high school education. It offers public school students a curriculum in science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics, Career and Technical Education, Project Based Learning, and the opportunity to recover credit.
Ethiopian, Eritrean students form union
“I grew up not knowing a lot of Habesha people in my classes or in school, separate from my sister,” said Maraki Mengesha A. “A lot of times I felt really isolated whenever there’d be conversations about culture, because I’d look around, and there wouldn’t be a lot of Habesha students there too.” Habesha is
Vegan school lunch effectively reduces BHS's carbon footprint
When one walks into most modern-day restaurants, they can expect to find food options that suit their dietary needs. Everyone is entitled to a meal, regardless of whether or not they eat meat, even though select privileged groups are often the only ones with access to vegetarian and vegan food options.
BSEP holds run-off election in first official meeting of the year
Berkeley High School students voted in a runoff election on October 19 to appoint the student representatives for this year’s School Site Council. The student representatives had already been elected last spring, but an additional election was recently called due to downsizing. “The state of California couldn’t get enough people on SSC boards across